Monday, January 31, 2011

A quote about "The Rock and The River"

For this round of book clubs I am reading a book written by Kekla Magoon called "The Rock and the River". The story is about a boy named Sam, who's father is a well known civil rights activist, but his best friend (who also is his brother) is a Black Panther.  He must make a choice between his father and his brother on which way he should take his life.

"I tried to pretend I was somewhere else... It was a peaceful protest; orderly and insistent, like the ticking of a clock... He (father) was feeding the crowd with his words."
-Sam

The quote above is actually thaken from the first paragraph in the entire book.  It's the first impression I have on the book, and it truly foreshadows alot about what is going to happen as the story goes on.  First off, you should know that the place Sam is in is one of his Father's peaceful protests.  As I've already explained, Sam is eventually going to have to make a decision on whether he will choose to go with his father or his best friend.  From this first sentence, we can probably gather that Sam is going to choose his best friend.  It seems that he has had enough of going with his father's life, and wanted to make a decision of his own.  Along with that, Sam subtly portrays the protest as something that is boring by saying that it is like the ticking of a clock.  I think that we all can agree that watching a clock tick is fairly boring.  Another important thing that Sam says is when he states that he was feeding the crows with his words.  To me, the word feeding pops out, and seems to imply that his father was giving the crowd a type of propaganda.  So far, these three points lead me to believe that Sam is going to go with his brother.

If we take a look at how Kekla Magoon phrased the sentence for Sam, you probably can tell that Kekla was trying to angle Sam as an innocent mind.  There were much more negative ways Sam could have said that he did not want to be at his father's rally.  In fact, Sam never specifically stated that he did not want to be at his father's rally, just that there were other places he would rather be.  The next to sentences are crafted more stealthly.  These sentences seem to have hidden implications and meanings.  Like I explained in the previous passage, all of these implications seem to point to the fact that Sam will join the Black Panthers.

I believe that it is now quite apparent.  Sam will choose to go with the Black Panthers, he will choose to go against his father.  He will choose to go with the rock.

2 comments:

  1. Hank,

    The fact that you were able to take a quote that was this complex from the first part of the book shows me that you are always on the lookout. I thought that this quote was well-written, but it actually has a meaning that I was unaware of. I don't know if I agree with who's the rock and who's the river. I believe it's the other way around...we'll have to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Janine is right, this was a complex quote and you expanded on it well!

    ReplyDelete